Dear Pretoria Campus Parents,
As we begin the month of September, our middle school students will be attending classrooms without walls. Buses will depart from our school parking lot at 8:00 AM on Monday, September 2 and we return Thursday, September 5. Our estimated time of arrival is noon.
This week our student growth assessments for students in Grades 3, 4, and 5 will take place. We appreciate you making sure students are well rested as Measures of Academic Progress assessments are conducted. Grades 6, 7, and 8 will be assessed the week of September 9.
Pretoria campus elementary open house will begin at 6:00 PM, September 4 in the Lapa. I appreciate Ms. Sheena and Dr. Andy Page Smith standing in as I will be attending our middle school CWW.
Please be reminded, Friday, September 6, 2019 is an early dismissal at 1:30 PM.
Parents we again need your cooperation:
AISJ will test the emergency communications systems next week - SMS and emails.
Log on to PowerSchool and confirm/edit your mobile phone numbers and email addresses for each child.
In an emergency, you can expect the following train of communication: An email will be sent to the AISJ Community, followed by an SMS and a Voice Note (you will receive a phone call from the AISJ Switchboard number, and an automated voice recording will read the SMS to you). The same content will then be loaded to the divisional portals of the website – once you log in a page pop will appear with all the communication sent. This is to ensure that the community can access the train of communication if the email and/or SMS have not been received. To reiterate, please ensure your contact information is current at all times so that you receive communication in the event of an emergency.
We have done a recon on PowerSchool and have found that there are numerous irregularities with how numbers have been captured. Please note that if this field has irregularities, you will not receive an SMS in the event of an emergency.
Points to take note of:
1. No text in the cell phone number field, example N/A
2. No double numbers in the field, example 000 000 0000 / 000 000 0000
3. No need to add the country code for South African cell numbers, example +27 00 000 0000
4. No landlines numbers in the cell phone number field, example 012 000 0000 / 011 000 0000
5. The cell phone contact number needs to be captured as such, example 082 000 0000
6. If it is an international cell number (non-SA cell number), country code is mandatory, example +263 77 816 4210
7. Changes to the physical address field, contact numbers, and email addresses need to be made on each child's profile on PowerSchool.
This SMS system will also be used by the transport department to communicate with bus rider parents in the following instances:
1. Bus breakdown en-route with students on board and;
2. Delays on arrival times (more than 20 minutes) due to a delay in departure from campus or traffic.
On Monday, 2nd of September 2019 at 1:00 pm, a test SMS will be sent, should you not receive the SMS by 2:00 pm on the 2nd, please log on to PowerSchool to ensure your mobile number is accurate in our database. Click here to find out how to log in to PowerSchool to update your demographic information.
1. Log onto PowerSchool. Click on your child's name. Click 'Forms/Signups' (towards the bottom of the navigation panel on the left). Click 'Demographic Update'.
2. Review, and update if necessary, the data listed on the 'Address,' 'Parents,' 'Emergency Contact' and 'Medical' tabs.
3. For each tab, even if you made no changes, check the confirmation at the bottom of the screen, and 'Submit.'
4. If you have more than one child, click on their name, and follow the steps above - you will need to re-enter changes for each child.
If your cell phone number is correct on PowerSchool and you did not receive the TEST SMS on the 2nd of September by 2:00 pm please email firstname.lastname@example.org for us to further investigate.
We appreciate the increase use of our Pretoria office email address for student absences and pertinent information. Thank you!
From our Pretoria PA President Stephanie Sexton:
We look forward to our September meeting on Wednesday, September 11.
Here are the directions on how to sync your phone to our Pretoria Portal calendar:
· Wednesday, September 4, Elementary School Open House, 6 PM, Lapa
· Friday, September 6, Early Dismissal, 1:30 PM
· Wednesday, September 11, PA Monthly Meeting, Noon, Parent Room
· Friday, September 13, Movie Night, 6 PM
Have a good day and enjoy the weekend.