August 9, 2018
Dear Pretoria Campus Parents,
Thank you for a wonderful back to school week. Monday’s new parent orientation, returning family orientation and the first day of school resulted in the opportunity of meeting many of you. Thank you for such a warm welcome. Our Back to School Assembly included the introduction of our 14 new educators joining our community. To open our school year, we reinforced the importance of AISJ’s four pillars: academics, arts, service learning, and athletics.
Over forty new families joined AISJ Pretoria this year. Our operations team is welcoming the addition of Ms. Minky. The excitement and positive energy for our 2018-2019 school year has been created by all.
I am pleased to introduce to you Ms. Mmankhume Leutle. Ms. Minky has joined the Pretoria Campus team as Assistant Operations Manager. Ms. Minky joins us with operations qualifications, including a National Diploma in Real Estate Management. Ms. Minky has operations work experience in various institutions, most recently the University of Pretoria. We are very happy to welcome Ms. Minky to AISJ Pretoria.
Mrs. Mindy Rich is our Parent Association President this academic year. On behalf of Mindy and our Parent Association Team:
Welcome to our new and returning families! It will be a great year!
· We are having our first monthly PA meeting next Wednesday, August 15 at 12:00 PM in the Parent Room on campus. All PA officers will be attending, as well as our new principal Dr. Amy, Ms. Sheena and Dr. Andy Page-Smith. All parents are welcome!
· The PA Welcome Back coffee will be held in the Parent Room on campus on Monday, August 20 at 10:00 AM. Join us! All new parents receive a free coffee from the coffee shop.
· The Vice President position is still open. Consider joining our team of PA officers. Come to our meeting or email Pretoria-PA@aisj-jhb.com if interested.
· The Parent Buddy system is in full swing. Kia Phillips, our PA Welcome Coordinator has put many new families in touch with existing AISJ Pretoria families to help ease the transition to our school. If you are new to Pretoria or AISJ's Pretoria campus, and would like to have a family sponsor you and your children please contact email@example.com for assistance.
· Would you like to become a Room Parent? Contact our PA Elementary School Room Parent Coordinator, Joana Forte at firstname.lastname@example.org if interested. Teachers that are still in need of room parents: EC (Mandy, Karen); Gr 3 (Mr. Keane); Gr 4 (Ms. Danelle); and both Gr 5 classes.
· If you have a child or children in Middle School and would like to become more involved, please contact our PA Middle School Coordinators, Brenda Tevalan de Aikomus and Rochelle Hennessey (email@example.com &firstname.lastname@example.org)
September 5th: Parents' Night Out @Capital Craft 6pm
September 14th: Movie Night @school 6:30pm
Your PA Team
Save the date!
On Saturday, September 1st, 2018, the AISJ Johannesburg campus will be holding a 3km run/walk in order to raise money for children suffering from cancer.
All proceeds from the run will be going to the smaller organization, The Rainbows and Smiles Foundation, a foundation that is dedicated to helping raise awareness and to provide financial, emotional and social aid to families with children diagnosed with cancer.
To sign up for the event participants must either go to the high school, middle school, elementary or Pretoria campus main offices and fill out the sign-up sheet and take a sponsorship form to complete.
YOU NEED TO BE SIGNED UP BY AUGUST 26, 2018!
There will be food and drinks for sale as well.
How the sponsorships work:
Each registered participant must take and fill out a sponsorship form.
How this works, is that each participant needs to get at least 1 sponsor to sign up to pay money per every kilometer they run. There are 10 sponsor spots, so runners/walkers can try to get up to 10 people to sponsor them. All sponsors will need to pay cash, and they can pay as much money as they want.
EVERY RUNNER OR WALKER MUST HAVE 1 OR MORE SPONSORS!
What: 3km run or walk
When: Saturday, September 1, 2018
Where: Upper Basketball courts @ AISJ Johannesburg campus
Why: To raise awareness for childhood cancer and to raise money for The Rainbows and Smiles Foundation
Who: Entire AISJ community and additional family members
More specific details will come out later to all who’ve registered.
If anyone has any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact:
Thank you Pretoria parents for a fantastic start to the school year.
Please be reminded:
· Tuesday, August 14, 2018 the Pretoria Campus Middle School Open House will begin at 6:00 PM in the Lapa.
· Friday, August 17, 2018 Pretoria Parent website and communication information session will be held in the Annex beginning at 1:45 PM.
· Tuesday, August 21, 2018 is the Pretoria Campus Photo Day
· Monday, August 27, 2018 Co-Curricular Activities begin
· Wednesday, August 29, 2018 Pretoria Elementary School Open House will begin at 6:00 PM in the Lapa
Have an enjoyable weekend.
Dr. Amy Parish
Pretoria Campus Principal