Thanks to all the parents who attended our PK-Grade 2 Parent Coffee on reading this week. We hope you found it helpful. We have Arts Fest/Heritage day next week, along with a Grade 5 Assembly on Thursday. Lots happening in the elementary school, so thanks for taking the time to read through all the information below.
AISJ Maker Day- October 6th
We are excited to be holding our 4th annual Family Maker Day on Sat, October 6th from 9am-12pm in the ES Library and surrounding outdoor spaces. Last year, we had over 100 families sign-up for this exciting event!
• The Maker Day is an event held to promote awareness of STEM (science, technology, engineering, art and math activities).
• Through various challenges, students are encouraged to problem-solve, innovate, create and test out their ideas through various stations including cardboard construction, robotics, electronics, circuit making, coding, stop motion and green screen editing, and much more!
• The event is flexible and personalized so students can choose what and how they would like to spend the morning.
• As this is a family event, parents are encouraged to be active participants in the activities and work with your child.
• Please note that this is not a “drop-off” event and parents must supervise their children.
• This year we will have several outside companies showcasing some innovative educational products that can be purchased on the day.
• The event is open to all students from Grades PK-8 and free of charge.
There are limited number of spots (and fills up quickly) and parents must register through this link in order to attend: https://goo.gl/forms/Df1vsHiGEdvNCfRd2. There will be coffee and tea provided.
We are looking for parent volunteers who would like to help run a station. Please email email@example.com if you are interested in helping!
Arts Fest and Heritage Day Celebrations, September 21st, 2018
Arts Fest Schedule
On Friday, September 21, AISJ will roll two events, Heritage Day and Artsfest, into one big celebration. Heritage Day is a significant day in the South African calendar because it commemorates and celebrates the diversity of cultures, beliefs, and traditions of the South African people, making it the "Rainbow Nation". On this day, we will focus on acknowledging the South African members of our AISJ community who contribute so much to the love we have for our host country.
ArtsFest, an annual festival, is a time for our entire community to celebrate, share, and participate in the fine and performing arts. Our vision is to encourage a lifelong love for the arts.
Throughout the day, we will enjoy workshops and performances that promote our vision. South African staff members have graciously offered to organize and run some of these fun and educational experiences for students.
Please join us for an opening ceremony on the soccer fields, the morning of September 21st at 7:45. We ask you to join in the celebration by wearing traditional South African clothes, any branded South African clothing, or, perhaps, by donning the colors of the South African flag.
Assembly- Thursday, September 20th
Next Thursday morning at 8 am, we will have our first-grade level assembly, with students in Grade 5 showcasing their learning. All elementary parents are invited to attend our assemblies.
MAP Parent Information Session
Teaching and Learning Director Dr. Robert Evans will be holding a parent information session on September 28th @ 8 am in T&L 1 to discuss MAP results. Parents are encouraged to bring their child's results which will be emailed prior to the meeting.
Important Elementary Events Date Event Venue
September 20th @ 8:00 JHB ES Assembly AISJ Theater
September 21st Arts Fest/Heritage Day
September 21st Early Release
September 24th Heritage Day School Holiday
September 28th @12:00 JHB ES Pre-K Community Garden Community Garden
September 28th @ 8:00 MAP Information Session T & L 1
October 6th Makerday TBA
October 10th 2:00-4:00 Parent Teacher Conferences ES Classrooms
October 11th Parent Teacher Conferences ES Classrooms – No school for ES Students
October 12th Early Release
October 15th – 19th School Holiday
Work: +27 (0)87 8091893