JOB DESCRIPTION: TEMPORARY HIGH SCHOOL ART TEACHER (MATERNITY COVER)
CAMPUS: Johannesburg Campus
SUPERVISOR: High School Principal
The American International School of Johannesburg is seeking a dynamic Art educator (maternity cover). The Art teacher will help students as both individuals and groups, will foster an appreciation of the arts, and provide a joyful and supportive learning environment. Candidates should be energetic, collaborative and progressive-minded.
• A minimum of an undergraduate degree in Education or the area of expertise required.
• Previous teaching experience, and strong knowledge in the area of specializations at the required levels of study.
• IB Art experience required
• A proven collaborator and skilled at working well with others.
• A positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills
• Expertise in building active, collaborative classroom programs which develop a sense of classroom community and trust.
• A solid understanding of the High school organization, programs and students.
• A proven ability to differentiate instruction and integrate learning. Preferred skills and experience
• Thorough understanding of the curricular elements of dramatic stud, and a general knowledge of Art curriculum. Understanding of and experience using “Understanding by Design.”
• Candidates should be experienced teaching students of all ages with a broad range of abilities and backgrounds
• Applicants should possess a love of visual arts practices, and children as well as
• the desire to nurture and shape the lives of young students
• Appreciation of the developmental and age characteristics of the students in each grade
• A passion for teaching High School students and helping them achieve their fullest potential.
• Enthusiasm for the mission of the school and for working collaboratively with fellow faculty members
• Organizational and managerial skills
• Initiative, confidence, and joy
• Ability and willingness to collaborate with other Arts Education professionals within the school and the community.
The High School Art Teacher will have responsibility for teaching 5 art classes over 8 blocks (over 2 days). The Art
Teacher will collaborate with the Arts department on various team endeavors.
• In support of this teachers are expected to:
• Instruction of High School Art classes with enthusiasm, creativity, and sensitivity to student learning styles.
• Teach IB HL/SL Art classes
• Plan and support Arts Fest (annual event).
• Utilize technology for instructing students, maintaining records, communicating information to parents, and promoting student and Art program achievements.
• Facilitate theatre enrichment opportunities and seek extracurricular performances on behalf of students.
• communities and development opportunities.
• Take an active role in pastoral care of homeroom or Eagle Forum group. Work Hours 07:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday, through Friday.
In order to complete the AISJ application process, please click here and complete the electronic form. Information captured on this form will be stored on a secure database and will be used to complete a quick reference check on vacancy compatibility.
Please take note all couples need to submit individual applications.