PTA MS Home
WE BELIEVE MATHEMATICS IS BEST TAUGHT …
- Using a Math Workshop approach: focus lesson; differentiated groups/conferring/goal setting/independent and small group practice.
- Using a ‘Math Journal’ to record student thinking, show student growth and highlight areas for further instruction and goal setting.
- By analysing student work to improve instruction and ultimately student learning.
- By developing mathematical confidence and a love of mathematics.
- By taking ownership of their learning and setting personal mathematical goals.
- When they work in their Zone of Proximal Development (ZPD).
- When given opportunities to solve real life and life like problems to cultivate their sense of number and develop strong mathematical practices.
- When they have opportunities to construct meaning using an inquiry approach to learning.
- When challenged to think by explaining, listening and problem solving.
- When encouraged to use a common language to discuss mathematics.
- Through a balanced development of both number knowledge and operational strategies so they can be efficient, flexible and accurate when solving mathematical problems.
WE AGREE TO …
- Use curriculum maps to articulate the length and order of the math units in each respective grade.
- Use the AISJ Standards and Benchmarks and Scope and Sequence documents to plan units of study using the AISJ UbD format on Atlas Rubicon.
- Use AISJ Standards and Benchmarks and Scope and Sequence documents to create rubrics and common assessments (formative and summative) for each unit of study.
- Use homework to reinforce concepts, knowledge and skills already taught in class as necessary.
The philosophy of the AISJ mathematics program is to provide our diverse learners with:
- a solid mathematical background
- a nurturing learning environment which fosters an appreciation for mathematics and opportunities for discovery and risk taking
- an ability to communicate their understanding
- a belief that there is a mathematician within them
- the ability to make connections to the world around them
- opportunities to develop logical and analytical reasoning skills
Through this, we empower our learners to successfully apply their skills in a variety of contexts with confidence and perseverance.